Scene from the Hoboken,NJ transit crash
September 2016 Headlines:
- September 4th: In Huntington, West Virginia a heroin epidemic has swept the city. Within just 4 hours, 28 overdoses were documented.
- September 5th: In Melbourne, Australia, a teenager who plotted to run over and behead a police officer as part of an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria movement-inspired attack on an Australian Veterans’ Day ceremony was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
- September 8th: Woman dead after being shot in head on Phoenix highway in Arizona. Authorities said three men in a white, work-style pickup truck with ladder racks were chasing the woman as she went from Interstate 10 to State Road 51 at about 7 p.m.
- September 9th: North Korea is believed to have conducted another underground nuclear test and even the isolated totalitarian state’s only close ally, China.
- September 11th: Sunday will mark 15 years since the 9/11 attacks. Even today, the number of victims continues to rise. More than 5,000 cases of cancer have been linked to the toxic dust workers encountered in Lower Manhattan after the attacks. We speak to one of the heroes who is now fighting for his life.
- September 15th: At least seven children have been hospitalized and hundreds more could be tested for suspected bacterial infections linked to a California dental clinic. Health officials are investigating
- September 15th: At least six passengers were killed and more than 100 others were injured Thursday when a passenger train collided with a freight train near the central Pakistani city of Multan.
- September 16th: Federal officials reported Almost 10 million U.S. adults seriously thought about committing suicide last year. Rates of suicide are at historically high levels, having jumped 27 percent since 2000, according to a report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- September 17th: An explosion shook a New York City neighborhood tonight, leaving more than two dozen people injured. The motive for the explosion still remains a mystery.
- September 19th: Two priests were found dead Monday, hours after they were abducted in Mexico’s Gulf coast state of Veracruz. The Veracruz state prosecutors’ office said the two men were kidnapped Sunday in the northern Veracruz city of Poza Rica. Their bodies were found dumped in a field by a roadside Monday.
- September 20th: A knife-wielding assailant began a violent rampage in the Crossroads Center mall over the weekend, off-duty police officer sprung into action. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, and called assailant a soldier of theirs.
- On September 27th, the World Health Organization announced that 92 percent of the world’s population live in places where pollution levels exceed recommended limits.Furthermore, 6.5 million people die annually from air pollution; 90 percent of these deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries
- September 29th: A 14-year-old is accused of opening fire at a South Carolina elementary school, wounding two 6-year-old students and a teacher.
- September 29th: Investigators want an NJ Transit engineer to explain what went wrong in the moments before his runaway train killed a bystander on a platform and injured 108 people in a nightmarish crash into the Hoboken station.